Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pick of the day 10/25

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!! Well for all you football fans out there I'm going to break down week 7 for you even though it's kind of a pointless week seeing how my Denver Broncos have a bye. I think bye weekends for your favorite team is like Columbus day. I mean yeah great you have the day off from work, but there is just nothing to look forward too.  Ok that's a little bit of an exaggeration because I still look forward to watching all football games on Sunday, but it's just not quite the same. For me personally if Denver isn't playing I like to just jump on the bandwagon for whoever is playing Dallas. This week I'm a huge Atlanta Falcon fanatic. Not really, I'm only joking but it's hard not to root against the Cowgirls. Anyway, on to my pick of the day, which is going to come from the Minnesota at Pittsburgh game. When choosing the game I tried to stay away from the Indianapolis game where they are playing the winless Rams. I thought it was just too obvious how the Rams would end the Colts streak. No, instead I picked a game where although Pittsburgh is just 4-2, they are actually a favorite as they play at home against the undefeated Vikings. These two teams don't meet often as they have only played 2 times since the 2001 season. Here's my question though, how are the Steelers a 6 point favorite to win this game. Yeah they are at home, yeah they are the defending champs, yeah they have the best defensive threat in the league back from an injury, but really 6 point favorite over the team who hasn't lost yet this year. Lets not forget the first 3 games Pittsburgh played this year. They beat Tennessee in overtime 13-10 at home. Tennessee!!!!, who hasn't won yet this year. Tennessee!!! who just got beat by New England 59-0. Next, they went to the Windy City and got beat. Chicago looks like a decent team this year, but then again it's not like they are undefeated like the Vikings. Week 3 the Steelers lost again, this time to Cincinnati who yes also looks like an much better team this year but still, nothing stunning about their season to this point. What I'm saying is the Steelers come into this game 4-2, so far this season the experts are getting them all wrong. Pittsburg has only been the victor in 1 spread this year. They are the favorite every week and I understand why they have been with the opponents they have had, but why this week? I understand the 3 points for home field advantage but why 6 it doesn't add up. Not only do I think the Steelers should not have this much respect but I think that Minnesota is going to move to 7-0 after this game. The Steelers play great at home and they rely mostly on their defense to win games, but this week they are going to have to stop both the pass and run. The Vikings will score points. They average over 30 a game. The question will be if the Steelers can keep up on offense. They have only scored 30 or more points in 1 game this year, and I just don't see them being able to have their offense on the field long enough to get that done. Look for Favre to continue doing a great job setting himself up with the running of AP. If the Steelers don't stop the run early and often they are going to get crushed. I can see this game staying close as long as Pittsburgh converts on offense and forces a couple turnovers, but they are going to have to play better than they have in any game all year to win this game. I will say this, if Pittsburgh somehow wins this game it could change my mind about their season in a hurry. This to me could be the start of another great season for the Steelers, but I would not count on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment